Used Car Warranty
What Does a Used Car Warranty Cover?
What Does a Used Car Warranty Cover?
When buying a used car you need assurance that the car is in good condition and that you are covered if something goes wrong. In this post we look at what used car warranties cover, where you are likely to find them, and how long they last for.
What is a used car warranty?
Used car warranties cover the cost of parts and usually labour on a designated list of mechanical elements if they go wrong within a set time period. New car warranties usually last for three years or 60,000 miles. The length of used car warranties may vary dependent on the current age and mileage of the vehicle, but most dealers offer a set warranty on all used cars in stock.
Used car warranties vary from supplier to supplier, so it is worth checking what is covered with each dealer you visit. Don’t assume that all used car warranties were created equal, the difference between what is covered, and the conditions attached to the warranty may vary greatly.
What is covered by a used car warranty?
To reiterate, what is covered by a used car warranty is very much an ‘it depends’ question, based on the warranty provider, plus the age and mileage of the vehicle. However, most mechanical and electrical failures should be covered as long as the car has been well maintained and the failure was not caused by poor maintenance or reckless behaviour.
Items commonly covered by a used car warranty include:
- Steering system
- Four wheel drive system if applicable
- Electrical system
- Built in radio/sat nav system
- Heating and cooling systems (such as heater and air conditioning)
- Non-wear and tear elements of the suspension
- Non-wear and tear elements of the braking system
What is NOT covered by a used car warranty?
The warranty is there in case of something breaking which should not, which means it does not cover items which we know will wear out and require replacement over time. Nor does it cover accidental and vandal damage which should be covered by your standard car insurance.
Items commonly not covered by a used car warranty include:
- Worn out clutch (as opposed to faulty, which would usually be covered)
- Wear and tear brake items such as pads and discs
- Rubber seals and strips, trims and coverings
- Worn out belts such as auxiliary and fan belts (as opposed to faulty, which would usually be covered)
- Wiper arms and blades
- Bulbs and lenses
- Any element added by a third party
- Post-original purchase modifications
Used car warranty exclusions
There are a few caveats to be aware of which may invalidate a used car warranty claim.
- Signs of force or tampering
- Failure of owner to properly maintain the vehicle
- Failure to report issue within the timeframe set out in terms and conditions
- Damage caused by accident or
- In line with insurance exclusions such as war and weather
- Issues occurring while a non-designated person was driving
- Issues occurring while excluded purposes were being enacted
- Failure to pay or maintain warranty premium
How long does a used car warranty last?
How long you get until your used car warranty expires depends on the provider, and the age and mileage of the car.
The minimum warranty period we would expect to see on a used car is three months, but bear in mind once the three months is up, you are no longer covered. If you wil be paying a fairly substantial sum of money for your used car you may wish to extend the warranty, or look to buy a car with a longer warranty period instead.
What is an extended used car warranty?
An extended used car warranty does exactly what is says on the tin. You can choose to extend your warranty for a longer period, even up to 36 months of ownership.
Used car warranty options from DCC
DCC are proud to work with AutoGuard Warranties as our used car warranty provider of choice.
When you buy a car from DCC you get the option of a range of comprehensive used car warranties, plus a range of other benefits designed to give you peace of mind and keep you on the road:
- Minimum three month used car warranty
- Free 12 months AA breakdown cover
- 128 point AA approved inspection check
- Extensive road test
- Minimum six months MOT
- Minimum six months/6,000 mile to next service
- Minimum 3mm depth on all tyres (legal limit is 1.6mm)
- All brakes over 70% worn will be replaced
- Full HPI check
- AA vehicle mileage check
Additionally, if you want to expand your coverage, we also offer excellent deals on enhanced warranties that will keep your vehicle protected for up to a lifetime.
- Our select cover warranty includes durations of 6, 12, 24, and 36 months covers. This warranty includes repairs to parts such as the engine, electrical system, and transmission, and is the most affordable option from our warranty range.
- Our premium warranty cover ranges from 6, 12, 24, and 36 months. This used car warranty includes a more extensive list of repairs covered than Select. In addition to the part list in select cover, premium assures repairs on air conditioning, in-car entertainment and satellite navigation, other driver interface systems. This warranty is a good middle-ground for those looking for cover on a more expansive range of items.
Do all dealers give a warranty on used cars?
Generally speaking, we would expect all used car dealerships to offer a warranty on every car they sell, but there is no legal requirement to do so.
In some instances, you may be offered a discount if you choose not to take the warranty, but be wary about making this decision. For example, should you save £250 by not taking the warranty then find your head gasket has expired or the motherboard has ceased to function, you will be looking at repairs potentially running into thousands of pounds.
DCC offer a range of warranties on every used car we sell with a minimum of three months with the option to extend for up to 36 months of ownership of your new vehicle. We would not advise purchasing a used car which did not come with a warranty.